Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Despicable Me Minion Goggles


Mini man C is obsessed with the movie Despicable Me. He calls it Pickle and asks to watch it at least once or twice everyday. We try not to let him watch it all the time, but since I'm a sucker for sad faces, and he really enjoys it, I usually cave.

He loves the little minion characters so when I bought these cute little tins from PickYourPlum I knew I was going to have to make minion goggles for the mini man.

These are pretty basic and simple to make. Think I had them done in about 15 minutes.


I began by using a black headband for the strap. Only tricky part here is that to get the goggles to sit in the right place you either need to assemble on the wearers head (not an option with a 2 year old) or get something the same size to stretch the band around. I used two cork pot rests to get about the right size.

I used snaps (from KAMSnaps) to attach the tins to the headband. I would have liked to actually have the tins removable by snap but had to go all the way through due to the shape of my snap pliers making it so I could only set them that one way.

Punch holes, set snaps, and the goggle frames are done. You could also hot glue the tins on but I wanted them to be sturdy enough for a 2 year old to play with them.

Finally I cut circles out of yellow felt and set the other side of the snap (again these could just be glued in but I liked the idea of the snap for play purposes). Then I hot glued the googley eyes onto the felt, snapped the pieces inside the tins and put on the tin lids to act as the goggle lens.











I think they turned out cute and C loves them, so that's good enough for me!

3 comments :

Unknown said...

Where did you get the tins?

Abbey from TheOtherSink said...

The tins were a daily deal on PickYourPlum. Great site http://pickyourplum.com/ Don't think they have had them up again since I got them but if they get enough interest I'm sure they will!

Anonymous said...

also to make the goggles you could use sause jar rims.you could put the goggly eyes in it or just leave i blank so your eyes are the minion eyes.great idea!!!

Post a Comment